Mexican liver recipe Liver is a very nutritious and versatile food that can be prepared in many different ways. One of the most popular and tasty recipes is the Mexican liver recipe, which consists of cooking the liver with onion, garlic, chili, tomato and spices. This recipe is easy to make and has a spicy and delicious flavor that will delight the whole family.
To make the Mexican liver recipe you need the following ingredients:
- 500 g of beef or pork liver, cut into small pieces
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 serrano or jalapeño peppers, chopped (you can use more or less according to your taste)
- 4 ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup of fresh cilantro, chopped
To prepare the Mexican liver recipe follow these steps:
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and fry the liver for about 10 minutes, until golden on both sides. Season with salt and pepper and set aside on a plate.
- In the same skillet, sauté the onion, garlic and chili for about 15 minutes, until soft and caramelized. Add the tomato, cumin, oregano and cinnamon and cook for another 10 minutes, until the sauce thickens.
- Return the liver to the skillet and mix well with the sauce. Cook over low heat for another 10 minutes, until the liver is tender and juicy.
- Sprinkle the cilantro on top and serve hot with white rice, corn tortillas or bread. Variants You can vary the Mexican liver recipe according to your preferences or the ingredients you have on hand. Here are some ideas: • You can use another type of meat such as chicken, turkey or rabbit instead of liver.
- You can use another type of chili such as chipotle, guajillo or ancho to give a different flavor to the sauce.
- You can add other vegetables such as carrot, zucchini or bell pepper to the sauce to make it more complete and colorful.
- You can substitute cilantro for parsley or basil if you don’t like the taste of cilantro.
Recommendations, tips and interesting facts
Here are some recommendations, tips and interesting facts about the Mexican liver recipe:
- Liver is an excellent source of protein, iron, zinc, vitamin A and vitamin B12, among other nutrients. However, it also contains a lot of cholesterol and can have toxins if not consumed in moderation. Therefore, it is recommended to eat liver once or twice a week at most.
- To make the liver softer and less bitter, you can soak it in milk or water with lemon for about 30 minutes before cooking it. You can also lightly flour it before frying it to make it crispier.
- The Mexican liver recipe is originally from northern Mexico, where it is known as “hígado encebollado” or “hígado a la mexicana”. It is a typical dish of home cooking and is usually served with refried beans, green salad or guacamole.
You may also be interested in these other authentic Mexican food recipes: